What Is Medicare?
Medicare is a health insurance program introduced in 1965 by the United States government and administered through the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Medicare is made up of four parts:
1. Medicare Part A: Inpatient hospital insurance
2. Medicare Part B: Outpatient insurance
(Medicare Parts A and B make up "Original Medicare.")
3. Medicare Part C: Medicare Advantage plans
4. Medicare Part D: Prescription drug coverage
Who is Eligible For Medicare?
- All individuals aged 65 and older
- People under age 65 with certain disabilities if they receive Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits
- Those with end-stage renal disease
- Those who meet other special criteria