Choose or Change Your Personal Physician
One of the most important things to do as a new member is to select a personal physician who will be your primary care doctor.
Depending on your health plan and where you live, you can choose a Group Health doctor who practices at one of our 25 Group Health Medical Centers locations or another physician who is in-network for your plan.
Reasons to Choose a Doctor Now
By choosing a doctor right away, you:
- Don't spend time figuring out your options if you get sick or are injured.
- Are less likely to go to an emergency room for a non-emergency condition, saving you money.
- If you register for our secure online services, you need to select a Group Health Medical Centers doctor before you see all services, such as secure e-mail with your doctor and online lab results.
Find a Personal Physician
Use our Provider Directory to find a personal physician who is a good match for you. You can see photos and read brief profiles. Contact Customer Service during regular business hours if you have any questions about our doctors, your choices, or need any help in making a selection.
Next Step: Select the Doctor
Once you've found someone you want as a personal physician, you need to make the selection by telling us who you chose.
To notify us online:
- Log in to this website. (You first must register for MyGroupHealth for Members.)
- Go to our Provider Directory and open the profile page for the doctor you want.
- If you are logged in — and the box for "accepting new patients" is marked yes — you'll see a link at the top called "Make this doctor my personal physician." That opens the Personal Physician Selection form.
- Fill out the form and submit
To notify us by phone:
Call Customer Service during regular business hours and tell us your choice for personal physician.
Change Your Doctor Any Time
You can change your personal physician at any time, for any reason. Simply choose a new personal physician, who then replaces your previous doctor. Follow the same steps as above to choose a doctor.
If you are registered on MyGroupHealth for Members and your personal physician is at a Group Health Medical Centers location, you'll see your new personal physician's name on your secure home page, usually within one business day.