How to Transfer and Get Copies of Your Medical Records

You have a right to see your medical records or get copies. You may view most of your medical record online at no charge if you get care at a Group Health Medical Centers clinic.

Transferring records: You don't need to transfer records if you are seeing different providers at Group Health Medical Center clinics. If you are requesting that Group Health send a medical record to a non-Group Health medical facility, you will need to sign a release form below. There is no charge.

Copies for your own records: You can request copies of your medical record and your children's medical records by filling out the appropriate form below. You may be charged for medical record copies that are sent to your home instead of a medical facility. (See the Charges section.)

Forms for Requesting Records

Fill out the appropriate form to transfer a record to a non-Group Health provider or facility, or to get your own copy.

Inpatient/Outpatient records: Use this form to get copies of records from office visits and procedures at Group Health Medical Centers locations and hospital stays. See our instructions on filling out the form.

Radiology: This page explaining how to request X-rays and other images.

(If you want to transfer a prescription to Group Health, see Group Health Pharmacy Information.)

Submitting Your Form

Submit your request to the Business Office of your local Group Health clinic or by fax or mail to your regional location. There is no charge if you are requesting records to be sent directly to a health care facility for continuing care or transferring care.

Western Washington
Centralized Release of Information
125 16th Ave. E.
Seattle, WA
206-326-3058 or 1-866-656-4184
Fax: 206-326-2599

Central & Eastern Washington and North Idaho
Centralized Health Information Management
521 E. Sprague Ave.
Spokane, WA 99202
Fax: 509-232-3127

Processing Your Request

We will make records available in a timely fashion not to exceed 15 working days. If we're not able to make records available at the time of request, we will inform you of the status of your medical records and produce your medical record within 21 days from the receipt of the request. If the information requested does not exist or cannot be found you will be notified within 15 working days. These timeframes are consistent with state law RCW 70.02.080 and 70.02.090.

Medical records usually are mailed. Only in emergency situations may records be picked up. A valid photo ID must be presented.

If someone other than the patient picks up records, we require a note from the patient that specifies who may pick up the records. That person must show a valid photo ID.

If you are requesting records from a non-Group Health medical facility, you must contact that facility directly.

Charges for Copies

For medical use, there is no fee if records are to be sent directly to a doctor or other health care provider for the purpose of continuing care.

For copies for patients or their representatives, there may be a reasonable, cost-based fee.

For copies for other uses, the fees are as follows:

  • 1-30 pages: $1.12 per page, plus sales tax
  • 31 or more pages: $ .84 per page, plus sales tax
  • Processing fee: $25, plus sales tax

WAC 246-08-400

Processing time: Please allow up to 15 business days

Records From 'Outside' Providers or Facilities

If you get care from a doctor or other provider who isn't based at a Group Health clinic, you must contact that provider or medical facility to get copies of records or to have your records transferred.

If you want copies sent to a Group Health clinic, they should be faxed to that location. To find the fax number, go to Group Health Medical Centers Locations and choose the clinic. The fax number is at the top of the page, under the picture of the medical center.

Your Rights

You may revoke release authorization at any time by submitting the Revocation form to your health care provider, unless the provider has already acted on the original request.

You have the right to request changes to your record. You also have the right to know when information from your record has been inappropriately disclosed. You may request restrictions on the use and disclosure of personal information.

For more information see:

Other sites: Providers | Producers | Employers