2015 Board of Trustees Application Process
The 11-member Board of Trustees sets the strategy, direction, and policy for Group Health Cooperative, a nonprofit health care system with $3.6 billion in annual operating revenue. If you believe you are a good fit for this highly rewarding and challenging Board service opportunity, the Standing Nominating Committee thanks you for your interest and looks forward to receiving your completed application materials. Please note the Group Health Bylaws state that every effort shall be made to provide for contested elections.
Important: Applications will not be considered if they are incomplete or submitted past the April 7 deadline. Submit your application early for a courtesy review to ensure all information is complete by the deadline. To receive full consideration, applicants must be available to participate in both interview rounds.
Overview of the application process and key dates:
- April 7: Applications must be complete and received by the deadline.
- April 21: Applications are screened by the nominating committee, and applicants are selected for interviews.
- May 12: Round 1 interviews of semifinalists. Finalists selected for Round 2 interviews.
- May 13-27 (approximately): Finalists must complete an online background screening process.
- June 9: Round 2 interviews of finalists. The committee nominates candidates and forwards the slate to the Group Health voting membership for election.
- Oct. 10: Election results are announced at the annual membership meeting. Voting will be conducted by mail before the meeting and in-person at the meeting.
Applicants must submit the two required forms and a résumé, which should include your work history, education, and relevant experience. Electronic documents should be in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants must be age 18 years or older, receive their care at Group Health, and be a registered Group Health voting member. If you're not already registered, it's fast and easy to do. Log in to MyGroupHealth to access the voting membership registration form.
Submitting Your Application Materials
Open each form and save it to your computer. After completing the two forms, submit them by the April 7 deadline, along with your résumé, by one of the following:
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 206-877-0648
- Mail: Standing Nominating Committee, c/o Shawndra Johnson, Board of Trustees Office, 320 Westlake Ave. N., Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98109
After submitting your application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail within two business days. If you do not, call 206-448-5797 to verify your application was received.
Ensuring that all persons associated with Group Health are of the highest integrity is vital to our ability to care for our patients, to our long-term success as a health care organization, and to our reputation in the communities we serve. For more information, review the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policy.
To comply with these policies, all semifinalists will be required to complete a Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statement to help identify any potential, perceived, or actual conflicts of interest. Potential conflicts do not necessarily disqualify an applicant.
Finalists will be required to complete an online background screening authorization process, which will assist the nominating committee in:
- Verifying education and work history
- Identifying any criminal convictions
- Ensuring that applicants have not been excluded from participating in Medicare, Medicaid, or other federal health care programs
Applicants are subject to additional background screening.
Group Health will retain your application materials for use with the candidate nomination process and will destroy them when they are no longer required. If you submit your application materials by e-mail, be aware that e-mail is an unsecured means of communication. Group Health cannot guarantee the secure transmission of your application materials from your computer to our servers.
For information about Board compensation and trustee indemnification, see the Resources for Board Applicants box.
Trustees spend an average of 25-35 hours per month fulfilling Board service responsibilities. Trustees who are in leadership positions, who are in their first year of service, or who voluntarily assume a heavier assignment load typically average more hours per month. Review the Trustee Job Description for more information.
Board meetings are generally held six times a year. In addition, trustees attend several Board study sessions and retreats. All trustees also serve on a minimum of three committees, which each typically meet four to six times a year.
Other Ways to Get Involved
See our Member Governance and Participation section to find other ways you can get involved with Group Health.